The Whatcom Museum was established as a municipal entity in 1944 (then known as the Bellingham Public Museum), operating out of the 1892 Old City Hall building. The year 1968 marked the expansion of the Museum’s focus from a community-run organization to a more formal museum, becoming the Whatcom Museum of History and Art. Now, a fully accredited museum by the American Alliance of Museums, the Whatcom Museum offers top-notch art and history experiences. The Museum has hosted and displayed hundreds of exhibitions, both traveling and staff-curated, on its multi-building campus. View our complete exhibition listing, dating back to 1968, to see the scope of the exhibitions presented to the community through the years.
The Whatcom Museum acknowledges that we gather on the traditional territory of the Lhaq’temish – Lummi People – and the Nuxwsá7aq – Nooksack People – who have lived in the Coast Salish region from time immemorial. The Museum honors our relationship with all of our Coast Salish neighbors and our shared responsibilities to their homeland where we all reside today.