Welcome to the Family Interactive Gallery (FIG)!
The Family Interactive Gallery (FIG), located in the Lightcatcher building of the Whatcom Museum (250 Flora Street), is a 4,681 square foot space that includes an art studio, more than 15 different activity stations, and several self-led activities and programs. This interactive, hands-on museum space has been offering innovative and engaging experiences for children of all ages and their families since 2009. By offering self-directed exploration, play, and learning together, the FIG provides educational opportunities in many critical areas, including science, technology, art, innovation, problem-solving, early childhood literacy, and social and cross-cultural experiences. Visitors can explore activity stations, create art in the FIG Studio, or participate in activities. Adults must supervise their children of all ages at all times and are responsible for their safety. The FIG helps deliver a rare experience in the museum world: world-class art galleries and a family-oriented interactive space under the same roof.
The Family Interactive Gallery is currently open Wednesday – Saturday, 10 AM – 5 PM and Sunday, Noon – 5 PM
We are excited to welcome you in to explore our new exhibits and show off your creativity in the art studio. With safety as our top priority, we are operating with strict cleaning protocols and provide hand sanitizing stations throughout the space. A note about food: To ensure the safety of the Museum’s artwork and collection, and to eliminate the possibility of pests, food is not allowed in the FIG or Museum. Water bottles and lidded cups are allowed in the FIG only. For our admission rates, what to expect when you visit, and more, check out our “Plan Your Visit” page.
Activities at the FIG
- Art Studio – Wednesdays – Saturdays, 10 AM – 4:30 PM and Sundays, noon – 4:30 PM: The Studio is open for creative play and self-guided activities prepared by our FIG staff. Each week the Studio features a different theme of art exploration. Visit the Artist’s Corner to create a make-and-take craft.
- STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, & Math) Saturdays – Second Saturday of each month 10 AM – noon: Join us for hands-on STEAM challenges and experiments that are fun for all ages.
- Storytime – Thursdays at 10:30 AM: Our storytime will transport little ones with big imaginations to far-away places. Join us for our storytime where a new book related to our art activity themes will be selected each week.
- Birthday Parties – We host parties on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. Look here for more information! Check out our Museum Store for great gift ideas.
- Low Sensory Sundays (bi-monthly)- We offer opportunities for children ages 12 and younger with autism spectrum and/or other sensory-processing needs to experience the FIG during this quieter time with accommodations in place. For more information, including dates and times, or to register your family, visit our program page here.
Learn more about these activities on our activity page or see our FIG calendar for dates and times.