Volunteers assist us annually with a variety of tasks both publicly and behind the scenes. Activities range from cataloging and archiving, events, promotion, preparation of exhibits, tours and educational activities in the gallery spaces, one time and special projects, and more. The Whatcom Museum is very grateful to all those who donate their time and talent to our organization.
If you are interested in a volunteering, complete the Volunteer Inquiry Form and mail to Attn: Volunteer Opportunities, 121 Prospect St., Bellingham, WA 98225, or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. While we try to respond to most inquiries, we do receive a large number of volunteer requests. We will follow up if an opportunity becomes available. Thanks for your interest in supporting the Whatcom Museum!
Museum Docent Program:
Are you a life-long learner who loves art and history, enjoys interacting with the public, and wants to make a contribution to our community? The Whatcom Museum docent tour program may be for you! As volunteer educators and ambassadors for the Museum, docents are committed to making art, history, ethnography, and natural history accessible and enjoyable for the Museum’s diverse audiences. Docents commit to the following requirements:
- A minimum of one year commitment to Museum service.
- Become a Museum member.
- Pay annual $20 docent program dues.
- Attend training sessions, continuing education programs, Museum events, workshops, and openings to become familiar with exhibitions.
- Adhere to a regular touring schedule. The number of shifts per year will be determined by exhibition scheduling needs.
- Lead occasional private group tours.
- Pass a WA State Patrol criminal background check.
The Whatcom Museum offers periodic training for our docent program. If you would like to be added to our waiting list send us an email.